Feb 7, 2023
Feb 7, 2023

UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski betting preview and odds

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski stats

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski: where is the value?

UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

Inform your MMA predictions ahead of the Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski fight with insight, analysis, and odds from Pinnacle.

  • EventUFC 284
  • Date: February 12, 2023
  • VenueRAC Arena (Perth, Australia)

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski: Tale of the Tape

Islam Makhachev


Alexander Volkanovski






168 cm

70 kg


65.5 kg


UFC record



Overall MMA record



Striking accuracy


Lightweight champion

UFC ranking

Featherweight champion

Islam Makhachev is defending his lightweight title for the first time after beating Charles Oliveira by submission at UFC 280.

Makhachev has won 11 of his 23 fights via submission

The 31-year-old is on an 11-fight win streak and has only tasted defeat once in his 24-fight career.

He is second in the pound-for-pound rankings and is looking to secure top spot but he'll need to beat number one ranked Alexander Volkanovski to achieve that goal.

Featherweight champion Volkanovski is stepping up a weight class as he looks to prove his worth as the best pound-for-pound ranked fighter and attempts to become a two-weight champion.

The Australian has made four successful defences of his featherweight belt after winning the title at UFC 245 in 2019.

Volkanovski has won his last 22 fights and has only lost once since he made his professional debut in 2012.

Analysing the Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski odds





Champion Makhachev is the 1.250* favourite, with his odds equating to an approximate 76.68% chance of victory. Challenger Volkanovski can be backed at 4.110*, which translates to a 23.32% chance of winning.

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski: fighting styles analysed

Makhachev is a major part of the wave of Sambo style fighters to come out Dagestan over the past decade.

Formerly trained by ex-lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, Makhachev is a formidable wrestler and boasts an extremely strong submission game, winning 11 of his 23 fights via that route.

He is also very capable with his hands and has collected four wins by knockout.

Volkanovski is extremely well-rounded but his kickboxing background tends to see him opt for a stand-up contest.

The 34-year-old former semi-professional rugby league player has picked up 12 wins by knockout and he'll need to show good takedown defence to keep this fight standing.

Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski: where is the value?

Volkanovski hasn't fought since July and he's utilised the last seven months to prepare for a step up in weight class.

He has previously competed at lightweight on four occasions but not since 2016 and never against a rival as accomplished as Makhachev.

Ultimately, this contest is likely decided on where is plays out; if Volkanovski can keep it standing then he holds the advantage, but as soon as Makhachev secures a takedown then the pendulum swings in his favour.

When looking for a value bet in this fight, it's best to go towards Over 3.5 rounds at 2.110*.

Five of Volkanovski's last six fights have gone the distance and Makhachev has won by decision on eight occasions.

With so much at stake, it's unlikely that either fighter will come out quickly, and the early rounds could prove to be a chess match as they both look to work out their best route to victory.

Are you ready to make your UFC 284 prediction? Sign up at Pinnacle and bet with our seriously valuable MMA odds.

Odds subject to change

Betting Resources - Empowering your betting

Pinnacle’s Betting Resources is one of the most comprehensive collections of expert betting advice anywhere online. Catering to all experience levels our aim is simply to empower bettors to become more knowledgeable.