Oct 18, 2022
Oct 18, 2022

UFC 280: Oliveira vs. Makhachev

Oliveira vs. Makhachev betting preview and odds

Oliveira vs. Makhachev predictions: where is the value?

Oliveira vs. Makhachev betting insight and odds

UFC 280: Oliveira vs. Makhachev

Will Charles Oliveira win back the UFC Lightweight Championship, or can Islam Makhachev get his hands on the belt? Inform your MMA predictions ahead of the Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev fight with insight, analysis, and odds from Pinnacle.

The vacant UFC Lightweight Championship is on the line as Charles Oliveira and Islam Makhachev meet at UFC 280. Can Oliveira reclaim the belt, or will Makhachev become the champion? Read on to inform your UFC 280 predictions.

  • EventUFC 280
  • DateOctober 22, 2022
  • VenueEtihad Arena (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)

Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev: Tale of the Tape

Charles ‘do Bronx’ Oliveira

Fighter

Islam Makhachev

33

Age

31

178 cm

Height

178 cm

70 kg

Weight

72 kg

21-8 (1NC)

UFC record

11-1

33-8 (1NC)

Overall MMA record

22-1

53%

Striking accuracy

57%

#1

UFC ranking

#4


Oliveira won the vacant lightweight title after beating Michael Chandler at UFC 262, and he successfully defended it against Dustin Poirier at UFC 269.

Oliveira was stripped of the title at UFC 274

The Brazilian was due to make the second defence of his belt at UFC 274, but he was stripped of the belt after failing to make weight.

Oliveira still won that fight, though, and is now looking to reclaim the title when he faces Makhachev at UFC 280.

Makhachev is yet to hold a title in his career, but he’s worked his way up the rankings after winning 10 fights in a row.

Analysing the Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev odds

Oliveira

Makhachev

62.03%

37.97%

Makhachev is the 1.555* favourite, with his odds equating to an approximate 62.03% chance of victory. Oliveira can be backed at 2.540*, which translates to a 37.97% chance of winning.

Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev: fighting styles analysed

Oliveira is known for his Brazilian jiu-jitsu skills, and he tends to lean heavily on them to get his victories.

His most recent win came against Justin Gaethje by submission, extending his record for the most submissions in the history of the UFC (16).

Makhachev is a talented grappler

He often likes to stand and trade punches until he starts taking damage, and that’s when he drops to his back to try and encourage his rival to come and play Brazilian jiu-jitsu on the canvas.

Makhachev is one of the vast number of UFC fighters to hail from Dagestan, and his style is also very defined.

His background lies in sambo, a Russian wrestling discipline that draws on aspects of judo, Japanese jiu-jitsu and boxing.

Former lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov was a master in the art of sambo, and Makhachev is following the same path.

Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev: where is the value?

It depends largely on how this fight plays out, but an early finish could be on the cards in the main event at UFC 280.

Oliveira and Makhachev are both extremely high-level performers when the fight ends up on the canvas, and it’s difficult to pick them apart.

However, Makhachev is a very able striker, picking up four victories by KO or TKO across his career, but Oliveira also likes to throw a punch, and the Brazilian boasts a three-and-a-half-inch reach advantage.

Makhachev has made easy work of his opponents when climbing through the division, but he hasn’t faced many top-ranked opponents and certainly none on the level of Oliveira.

Oliveira, meanwhile, has taken out Chandler, Poirier, and Gaethje in his last three fights, and he’s worth siding with again at 2.540*.

Are you ready to make your UFC 280 prediction? Sign up at Pinnacle and bet with our seriously valuable MMA odds.

Odds subject to change

Betting Resources - Empowering your betting

Pinnacle’s Betting Resources is one of the most comprehensive collections of expert betting advice anywhere online. Catering to all experience levels our aim is simply to empower bettors to become more knowledgeable.