Jul 26, 2022
Jul 26, 2022

UFC 277: Pena vs. Nunez

Pena vs. Nunez betting preview and odds

Pena vs. Nunez predictions: Where is the value?

Pena vs. Nunez betting insight and odds

UFC 277: Pena vs. Nunez

Inform your MMA predictions ahead of the Julianna Pena vs. Amanda Nunez fight with insight, analysis, and odds from Pinnacle.

The UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship is on the line as Julianna Pena is set to defend her title against Amanda Nunes. Can Pena keep the belt, or will Nunes become the new champion? Read on to inform your Pena vs. Nunes predictions.

  • EventUFC 277
  • DateJuly 31, 2022
  • VenueAmerican Airlines Center (Texas, United States)

Julianna Pena vs. Amanda Nunes: Tale of the Tape

Julianna ‘The Venezuelan Vixen’ Pena

Fighter

Amanda ‘The Lioness’ Nunes

32

Age

34

170 cm

Height

173 cm

61 kg

Weight

61 kg

7-2

UFC record

14-2

12-4

Overall MMA record

21-5

49%

Striking accuracy

51%

Champion

UFC ranking

#1


Pena earned her place in the UFC after winning Season 18 of The Ultimate Fighter. ‘The Venezuelan Vixen’ makes the first defence of her bantamweight title on Sunday after beating Nunes to claim the belt at UFC 269.

Nunes, who still has the women's featherweight title, had held the bantamweight belt since 2016 and made five successful defences of it before suffering a submission loss to Pena.

Analysing the Pena vs. Nunes odds

Pena

Nunes

29.47%

70.53%

Despite being the defending champion, Pena is the 3.260* underdog, with her odds equating to an approximate 29.47% chance of victory. Challenger Nunes can be backed at 1.362*, which translates to a 70.53% chance of winning.

Pena vs. Nunes: fighting styles analysed

Pena comes from a jiu-jitsu background, boasting a purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and she utilised those skills to defeat Nunes in their first meeting.

The 32-year-old struggled to match striker Nunes on the feet in round one of their contest at UFC 269 and took the fight to the ground in round two. Her superior ground skills started to shine through, and she eventually managed to secure a submission victory to win the belt.

Pena can end fights with her hands, earning three KO/TKO victories, but with five of her 11 professional wins coming via submission, it's clear to see where her strength lies.

Nunes, in contrast, loves to use her striking power to try and earn success, and she's got a formidable record when it comes to winning by KO or TKO. The Brazilian has sealed 13 of her 21 professional victories via that route, with few women able to deal with her heavy hands.

Pena vs. Nunes: where is the value?

Pena has been rated the underdog in her last three fights, winning two and losing one, so she won't mind being the outsider again here. Not many predicted she would be able to beat Nunes in their previous encounter, and even fewer would have tipped Pena to claim a stoppage victory.

But with that experience now under her belt, having halted Nunes' 12-fight winning streak, Pena will be overflowing with confidence ahead of this rematch.

As mentioned in the analysis of their fighting styles, victory will likely be decided by how the fight primarily plays out - if it stays on the feet, then Nunes has the advantage. However, Pena should prevail if she can secure a takedown.

Pena was prepared to trade shots with Nunes last time out before eventually securing the takedown, and she'll need to be patient and probably take some punches before shooting again.

She is the second-largest underdog to have sealed a win in the UFC and, priced at 3.260*, is worth siding with once again.

Are you ready to make your UFC 277 prediction? Sign up at Pinnacle and bet with our seriously valuable MMA odds.

Odds subject to change

Betting Resources - Empowering your betting

Pinnacle’s Betting Resources is one of the most comprehensive collections of expert betting advice anywhere online. Catering to all experience levels our aim is simply to empower bettors to become more knowledgeable.