Sep 1, 2021
Sep 1, 2021

Solheim Cup 2021 preview

Who will win the Solheim Cup?

Solheim Cup 2021 odds and predictions

How does the Solheim Cup work?

Solheim Cup squads and schedule

Solheim Cup 2021 preview

The 17th edition of the Solheim Cup gets underway on September 4, as the USA and Europe face off once again for one of the most prestigious titles in women’s golf. Who will come out on top at the Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio? Read on to inform your Solheim Cup 2021 predictions.

Solheim Cup 2021: Odds at a glance

Team

Odds

USA

1.540*

Europe

2.510*

Tie

13.500*

The USA are favoured to claim the cup on home soil, with their odds giving them an approximate 62% likelihood of victory. Meanwhile, the market has placed Europe as the underdogs with just under a 38% chance of defending their title.

How does the Solheim Cup work?

The Solheim Cup is a three-day event during which there are a total of 28 points up for grabs, meaning a team needs to earn at least 14.5 in order to win the trophy. As Europe won the last edition of the Cup in 2019, if this year’s tournament finishes as a 14-14 tie, they will retain the trophy.

Both teams are comprised of a non-playing captain, three non-playing assistant captains, and 12 players. The captain is responsible for deciding who plays in each game across the three days.

Day 1 (September 4) will be comprised of four foursome games in the morning session and four fourball games in the afternoon session. In the foursome games, pairs from both teams compete against each other, taking alternate shots to complete each hole. In the fourball games, pairs from both teams compete against each other with both players completing the hole individually and the lower score among both players submitted for each hole. In both cases, whichever pair wins the most holes wins the game. Each game is worth one point each, with half a point awarded to both teams if a game is tied.

Day 2 (September 5) will be comprised of four foursome games in the morning session and four fourball games in the afternoon session, with the same rules and awarding of points applying.

Day 3 (September 6) will be comprised of 12 singles matches in which each golfer faces off against an opponent from the other team. Whoever wins the most holes wins the match and a point for their team, with half a point awarded to both teams if a match is tied.

Solheim Cup 2021 squads

Team USA

Team Europe

Pat Hurst (captain)

Catriona Matthew (captain)

Brittany Altomare

Celine Boutier

Austin Ernst

Matilda Castren

Ally Ewing

Carlota Ciganda

Mina Harigae

Georgina Hall

Danielle Kang

Charley Hull

Megan Khang

Nanna Koerstz Madsen

Jessica Korda

Leona Maguire

Nelly Korda

Anna Nordqvist

Jennifer Kupcho

Emily Kristine Pedersen

Yealimi Noh

Sophia Popov

Lizette Salas

Mel Reid

Lexi Thompson

Madelene Sagstrom

Team USA is formed of the seven leading players in the LPGA Solheim rankings, the next best two players in the Women’s World Golf Rankings, and three individual picks by captain Pat Hurst. Team Europe is comprised of the top two players from the LET Solheim Cup rankings, the next best four players in the Women’s World Golf Rankings, and six individual picks by captain Catriona Matthew.

Solheim Cup: Recent history

The USA have historically been the stronger team in the Solheim Cup, having won 10 of the 16 editions to date (which are also yet to witness a tie). However, it is Europe who edge their opponents for recent success; the defending champions have won three of the last five events, including their closely contested 14.5-13.5 triumph two years ago.

Europe’s victory at Gleneagles was also the latest in a recent flurry of Solheim Cups decided by narrow margins. Of the last five, three have featured a winning margin of two points or fewer, while the USA’s win in 2015 again featured a 14.5-13.5 scoreline.

If Europe win this year, it would be only the second time they have enjoyed back-to-back titles in the Solheim Cup and the first time they have done so since 2013. Of their six wins to date, only their triumph in 2013 came on American soil, although it was their largest win in the competition (18-10).

Solheim Cup: Last five winners

Year

Winners

Score

Host

2019

Europe

14.5-13.5

Europe

2017

USA

16.5-11.5

USA

2015

USA

14.5-13.5

Europe

2013

Europe

18-10

USA

2011

Europe

15-13

Europe

Odds subject to change

Betting Resources - Empowering your betting

Pinnacle’s Betting Resources is one of the most comprehensive collections of expert betting advice anywhere online. Catering to all experience levels our aim is simply to empower bettors to become more knowledgeable.